From beautiful parks to trendy neighbourhoods, there are so many things to love about living in northwest Calgary. In this blog post, we'll explore the eight best things about living in this amazing part of the city.
1. Beautiful parks
There are several notable parks worth exploring in northwest Calgary. Here are some of our favourites:
- Nose Hill Park: this is one of the largest urban parks in Canada, covering 11 square kilometres. It offers stunning views of the city and the Rocky Mountains, as well as hiking and biking trails, picnic areas and wildlife viewing opportunities. It's a great place to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and get a little fresh air and exercise.
- Bowness Park: located along the Bow River, Bowness Park provides a picturesque setting for outdoor activities. It features picnic areas, a lagoon for paddle boating in the summer and ice skating in the winter, as well as pathways for walking and biking.
- Baker Park: this scenic riverside park sits across the Bow River from Bowness Park. It’s known for its pathways, natural beauty and recreational amenities, including disc golf. Covering 12 hectares, it offers picturesque views of the Bow River and downtown skyline.
- Haskayne Legacy Park: this is a new 126-hectare city regional park located at the northwestern corner of Calgary. The park is set to officially open to the public in mid-September 2023. Learn more here.
2. Fantastic restaurants
Northwest Calgary is home to a diverse culinary scene. Some of the best restaurants in the area include:
- Mulligan’s at Valley Ridge: located at Valley Ridge Golf Club, Mulligan's Lounge features a beautiful outdoor patio area and is the perfect place to unwind or catch up with friends.
- Flores & Pine: this casual restaurant and cocktail lounge sits in Bearspaw, just outside Calgary’s northwest boundary. It’s the go-to spot for perfectly grilled steak, a ladies’ night out or a special celebration with friends or family.
- NOtaBLE: a warm and welcoming restaurant featuring an open kitchen and wood-burning rotisserie. Notable is a neighbourhood hub, but it attracts food lovers from all over the city.
Some of the main shopping destinations in northwest Calgary include:
- CF Market Mall: renowned as a vibrant shopping hub, Market Mall presents an extensive selection of shops and services. Whether you're looking for household names like Hudson's Bay and Sephora or unique boutiques and specialty stores, Market Mall has it all.
- North Hill Centre: nestled in the heart of the city’s northwest, this bustling shopping mall boasts more than a 100 shops, professional office spaces and a vibrant community atmosphere.
- Brentwood Village Shopping Centre: this bustling shopping centre includes an eclectic mix of stores, local boutiques, and tempting eateries.
In winter, enjoy skiing, snowboarding, and tubing. Summer means Downhill Karting, mountain biking and mini golf. It's a great place to enjoy some outdoor recreation and take in the beauty of the mountains.
When it’s time to head indoors, you’ll find plenty of food and beverage options. The Markin MacPhail Centre includes arenas and other facilities. It can accommodate various events and activities year-round.
5. Calgary Farmers’ Market West
Spanning 54,000 square feet, Calgary Farmers’ Market West features over 60 vendors selling farm fresh produce, unique handmade goods, delicious cuisine and more. Indulge in curated experiences and events, and enjoy family-friendly amenities.
From shopping to dining, this vibrant market provides a memorable experience that caters to all tastes and interests.
6. The Calgary West Soccer Centre
Equipped with multiple indoor and outdoor fields, the Calgary West Soccer Centre provides a year-round platform for soccer training, leagues, tournaments, and friendly matches.
From grassroots programs to competitive play, the centre caters to players of all ages and skill levels, fostering a vibrant soccer community in NW Calgary.
To learn more about rental rates, programs, and opening times, click here.
7. Calgary Climbing Centre Rocky Mountain
The Rocky Mountain Climbing Centre is a premier indoor climbing facility catering to all ages and skill levels. Whether you prefer bouldering, top-rope climbing, or lead climbing, this facility has you covered.
The climbing routes are regularly updated and set by experienced route setters, ensuring a fresh and exciting experience every time you visit. Safety is a top priority with trained staff members who are always on hand to provide guidance and assistance.
8. Valley Ridge Golf Course
This picturesque golf course offers various tee options, accommodating golfers of all skill levels, from beginners to seasoned players. With its stunning views, well-maintained fairways, and a range of amenities, Valley Ridge Golf Course is a must-visit destination for golf enthusiasts in Calgary.
Whether you're looking for outdoor recreation or top-notch shopping and entertainment, northwest Calgary has it all. If you're considering a move to this amazing part of the city, you won't be disappointed!